Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So Froebel blew up.

Not literally of course, but we have added a bunch of new classes and have taken on quite a few new foreign and Korean teachers as well. All the commotion is a bit strange and having new people on staff can dramatically change the dynamic. So far though, all the new teachers seem pretty fun and chill which is good news.

I am still in charge of 6 year old drama and still co-teach 5 year old drama. The subjects I teach haven't changed, it is just more of them now...which is alright I suppose. Especially cooking class :) That class especially never really feels like work!

We are in the middle of the school year now, so we have a lot of things going on - meetings with parents, schedule changes and all that other stuff I already mentioned about new kids and staff so it has been pretty crazy around here the past week or so.

Anywho, in other news last weekend our friend Ashley who lives down south in Gwangju came up to Seoul to hang out for the weekend. He introduced us to a really great all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse. A-mazing. I was surprised they not only had beef, but all different kinds of meat. And all of it was delicious! We even got to eat kangaroo! On the way out, I was looking at all the different kinds of wine they had just for fun, and then one of the servers came up and gave me a bottle of red Spanish wine (my favorite!) completely free. Still unsure why, but hey, free bottle of wine!

After the meal, Rach had some stuff to get done and decided it best she got going, but Ashley and I went to a really nice 찜질방 jimjilbang (bathhouse). We decided to take about a half hour to do the baths that are separated by gender and then to meet back at the main lobby to check out everything else the place had to offer. This jimjilbang had a swimming pool on the roof, tons of different saunas (some with hot rocks to lay on, some with lofts, and some with tvs!), an ice sauna (there were snowmen in the corners and ice on the walls!), and also areas to lounge and snack. They also had a bar/snack area on the roof and a big screen where they occasionally play movies. People also sleep at the jimjilbang since they are 24 hours and they have special places where you can get some rest as well. This is actually how some people travel - the jimjilbangs are cheap (7,000-12,000 won usually I believe...which is about $5.50-10 maybe?). We had a great time just hanging out there and I plan to bring my mom and grandma to that jimjilbang when they come!

Lately Rach and I had been feeling a bit "blah" and decided it was time to get some excersize. Both of us tried running outside, but it is toooooo hot and tooooo humid and tooooo crowded it basically drove us both insane. Our friend and my co-worker Tim had belonged to a gym near our house so we decided to give it a try! We went in to register and were both very surprised at how nice this place was. Each treadmill has its own personal tv that you can plug your headphones into. I guess my first time running I got too excited about it and pulled the remote off the treadmill with too much force because I dropped it onto my treadmill and it went flying behind me. As if I didn't stand out enough already, here I am dropping stuff onto high speed conveyors and laughing at myself. Rach tried her best not to double over as the trainer guy came over to ask if I was ok.

The guy registering us didn't speak much English, so he pulled his much-better-at-English friend out of her workout to talk to us. All said and done, we got a month free, free yoga (we didn't get the package that included group exercise so this was really nice!), and he even offered to help us out weight training if we ever wanted a free session of personal training. Awesome! We are currently doing yoga twice a week. Its interesting because we have to watch a bit more than usual since we can't understand her instruction...but we both get along just fine due to we both have a background in yoga already.

I suppose that's about all for now! We are currently figuring out where we are going to go for our long weekend coming up in October. Its either going to be Jeju or Busan, depending on what we can pull together!

1 comment:

  1. i'm jealous! i have been trying to find yoga classes, because my gym doesn't have any.

    ReplyDelete