Thursday, February 11, 2010








I'm 100% Positive You Will Find These Kids Adorable







Today at Froebel we had a very special day in honor of the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday this weekend - traditional day! All the kids came dressed up in traditional Korean clothes which are usually very bright, embroidered, and stunning. The dress for the women, as we've mentioned before, is called a hanbok. These traditional clothes are worn semi-formally or formally on special occasions, events and festivals.

I was really excited to see all the kids dressed up, and they did NOT disappoint! I am not sure I've seen anything cuter than a bunch of these Korean children in their traditional outfits. It was also a reminder of where I am and how much amazing history this culture has.

So basically all day we played Korean folk games, such as hitting a spinning top with a rope, throwing thin arrows into a bucket, arm wrestling (which was hilarious), and a game that resembled hacky-sack. Determined to capture how alive my kids were on film (a tough feat at times since when they see a camera they either pose or look like deer in high-beams), I set out to be a stealthy sniper photographer.

The results of my super-spy, 007 photo shoot are HERE!


At the end of the day we brought all the 6 year old classes in the gym and had chicken fights! Two kids faced off and they had to hop on one foot and kinda bump into each other. The person who lost their balance and put two feet down (or fell down on the mat, haha) was the loser. All the kids were cheering for the person they wanted to win as loud as they could and it was really fun watching all the kids try to bounce around and throw each other down haha. After all the kids had gone, Melissa, Mary and I all had the same idea at once: TEACHER BATTLE!!! The kids, of course, went crazy when they saw Mary and I taking off our shoes and getting onto the mat to face off! It was so much fun and I ended up winning the first match. Then I had to battle Melissa and after a very good match, she was the victor! You can see the video of some of the kids and also Melissa and my battle in the same photo album. All-in-all, it was a fantastic day at Froebel School :)
It was great to spend the whole day with Elgar class, since I have a limited amount of days remaining with them. I'm really not looking forward to saying goodbye because let's face it, crying hysterically at your workplace isn't really the most natural thing...but I've come to accept it as an inevitability. Should make for some great embarrassing pictures haha :P

It doesn't quite seem like a reality that I will be jetting-off in about 17 days. What happened to 2009? I'm CONVINCED time moves faster in Asia...I'll find the science to back that up but in the meantime, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that this year FLEW by - we're talking breaking the sound barrier speeds here.

This past week I've been reflecting on all the little things I'm going to miss about this place. The high-fives from the corner fruit sellers. Getting extra sprouts from sprout lady because I'm there every-other day (I mean, if they have sprouts in heaven, this is what they'd taste like!). The occasional random conversation with a Korean wanting to practice English. Listening to the alley cats fight to the death outside my apartment window. Calling my friend Mark when I need him to call and order a pizza for me. Falling half asleep on the subway. My kids yelling "MEGHAN TEACHER! SCIENCE!" like they just found out ice cream was for lunch because they know I'm not the teacher that makes them trace letters.

Clearly there are tons more but lately I've been really stopping to think of where I am and exactly how lucky I am to be here. Even the sounds and smells of the city, the Korean language dancing incomprehensible around me will be something I'll never forget.

BUT enough about the sad stuff for now... it can wait another 17 days or so! TOMORROW we are going to Taiwan for our Lunar New Year vacation. We have to be up bright and early, but what else is new? As long as I'm getting on a plane or going somewhere awesome, name the time and I'm ready to go! Its also Rach and my last Asian trip together this year. Hard to believe after being travel partners for the past year and seeing/doing so many incredible things.

So for now, we're off - but keep your eye out next week when we get to tell you all our stories from our time on the island. :)

2 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes! Those kids are adorable in the traditional clothes. What a great, fantastic adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Meghan you think the time flies now the older you get the more it seems to go so fast please get all of the sounds and sights you can hold and remember them forever this was a learning experince for all of us that followed your travels through out asia and beyond we will miss your stories and tales!! great job as always

    love dad

    ReplyDelete