Thursday, January 22, 2009

Coming soon!

Rachel and I start our year teaching English to kindergarten and early elementary students in the center of Seoul!

Here is the short version of how this idea became a reality!

My internship was ending and wasn't panning out like I had planned, which was a bummer, but I started looking at it as an opportunity. I have always loved to travel etc, and so I said to Rach (half joking, half serious) that we should skip country and go teach abroad. She was all for it and so we started to look seriously at our options.

South Korea wasn't necessarily our first choice place, but after some research it was the country that offered the most incentives for teachers (free airfare, free accommodation, great salaries, etc). Turns out South Korea is a pretty amazing place and as far as my experience went, completely under the radar. After doing a bit of research, I was stoked about SK as my choice!

I started talking to people and turns out I know a handful of people from both GAC and EV who are teaching over there as we speak. Talked to all of them about their experiences and asked them advice and tons of questions (We owe all of them alot! Thanks so much!).

We then applied with a recruiter, got accepted, and within a few days got job offers. My job is at a school called Froebel School in central Seoul. Rach's job is at a school called CIS, which is a school that only hires people who have a degree in teaching.

We are both suuuuuper excited to get out and get going, and are currently waiting for our E-2 work visas. Our ETD is mid-February (somewhere around the 18th, but we'll soon know the specifics of our flight) and we start teaching early March :D

We can't wait to share our experiences with you through this blog, photos and hopefully skype if you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment